And, being one who runs around the block a few times, sometimes it gets noticed and conversations can lead to reasons (excuses) to not exercise.
There are also comments many of us have heard from the non-educated in exercise group that make us chuckle, such as “how long was that marathon? Or “I ran a marathon!” “Really great! What was your time?” “About 30 minutes”
So, below are some common myths about exercising and the truth as I see it.
- “I can’t run. It’s bad for my knees. I don’t want to have a knee replacement” Really? Like that bowling ball your carrying around won’t hurt your knees? The truth is your body will adapt to its changing environment provided it is given enough time to adapt.
- “I can’t get up early and workout. I need my 10 hours of sleep” We live in Seattle. That is what coffee is for. The truth is sleep faster.
- I don’t want to do HIT (High Intensity Exercise). I will get injured. I heard the guy who started crossfit say “Do you think we became more popular than Wendy’s and KFC combined by hurting our people?” The truth is go anyway. That is what coaches and/or youtube is for.
- “I would like to do a triathlon, but I can’t swim” (me neither and I still show up!). Yes you can. I have not yet seen an aid car hauling a new swimmer out of the pool. The truth is as seen by Michael Jordan is “Anybody great at something sucked at one time”
- “I can’t afford it” You can. We live in a rich country and cheap stuff is to be had at Value Village. Better than nothing. Plus, many of us have spare gear laying around that we would be happy to donate to a good cause if anybody asked. Most that say that can find money for co-payments on medications necessary because of poor self care.
- “I’m too old”. Say that to the 85 year old age grouper who qualified and finished at Kona.
- “I need to check with my doctor first” “I am a doctor and I say you can”. First they tell you you are overweight. You need a diet and exercise. Then they tell you you run too much and are wearing yourself out. What?
Enough of that negativity. Now what to do about it since to some degree most of us do have that rolling around in our heads.
You will become what you think about and take action on. If you change your mind, you can change your result. It is not easy, especially in the beginning when you meet resistance after the glamour of making a decision is made.